PRICES improved for a reduced online sheep and lamb offering on AuctionsPlus last week.
AuctionsPlus operations manager Tom Rookyard said sheep and lamb numbers fell by 9000 head to 49,800.
“The online market was firm to dearer, seeing gains across all stock categories, as southern operators have once again thrown their weight around the online auctions.
“Victoria purchased 14,300 head, which equates to almost 10 to 1 sheep purchased versus the 1,500 sheep listed from Victoria,” he said.
Merino ewe hoggets dearer
Merino ewe hoggets rose $6 to average $200 and sold from $145 to $285. The top-priced lot was a line of Leahcim blood May/June 2018 drop ewes at Port Vincent South Australia. The unjoined hoggets weighed 67kg. A line of July/Aug 2018 drop Outback MPM blood ewe lambs weighing 43kg at Nyngan, NSW, sold to $211.
Young Merino ewes sell to $243
Young Merino breeders, 2 to 4 years old sold from $140 to $243, averaging $200. A line of four year-old Haddon Rig blood ewes scanned in lamb to Merino rams at Walgett, NSW, sold for $232. A line of unjoined 3-4 year-old Wilgunya blood ewes at Talwood, Queensland, sold for $145 to a buyer in the state. Proven four year-old and older Merino breeders sold from $92-$250 to average $172, up $7 on last week.
Merino wether lambs make $151
Merino wether lambs sold from $86-$151, averaging $121, and Merino wether hoggets and grown wethers made $93-$165, to average $125. The top-priced line was of two year-old Egelabra and Mullengudgery blood wethers weighing 22kg lwt at Weilmoringle, NSW, that sold to a processor for 753c/kg cwt. Other Merino wether highlights included 37kg April/May 2019 drop new season Poll Merino lambs at Coonamble, NSW, selling for $151 to a buyer at Wagga Wagga. A line of June/July 2018 drop wethers at Booroowa, NSW, sold for $154 to a Victorian buyer at Horsham and a line of 30kg April/May 2019 drop lambs at Molong, NSW, sold to Bendigo buyer for $133.
First cross ewe offering limited
Mr Rookyard said there was a limited online offering of first cross ewes and ewe lambs last week. The top-priced lot was a line of 2-3 year-old ewes with 21kg White Suffolk lambs at Alma Park, NSW, that made $380. A line of 12-13 month-old unjoined Talbragar and Avoca blood first cross ewe hoggets at Dunedoo, NSW, sold for $231.
Demand strong for store lambs
There were 9522 new season lambs offered on AuctionsPlus last week. Demand was strong with an 81 percent clearance, as producers look to feed lambs to hit the trade and heavy lamb markets, Mr Rookyard said.
- Mar/Apr-19 drop, 36.3kg, 2ndX Poll Dorset mixed sex suckers, from WELLINGTON New South Wales, sold for 1041c/kg lw/$175
- Apr/May-19 drop, 35.2kg, 2ndX Poll Dorset mixed sex suckers, from MANILDRA New South Wales, sold for 1015c/kg lw/$165.5
- Mar/Apr-19 drop, 37.6kg, Poll Dorset/Dohne mixed sex suckers, from BALDRY New South Wales, sold for 926c/kg lw/$165
- Mar/Apr-19 drop, 34.6kg, Dorset/Merino mixed sex suckers, from GRENFELL New South Wales, sold for 967c/kg lw/$161.5
- Apr/May-19 drop, 38.4kg, White Suffolk/Merino mixed sex suckers, from MOAMA New South Wales, sold for 913c/kg lw/$159
- Apr/May-19 drop, 35.5kg, Australian White/Australian White mixed sex suckers, from DUBBO New South Wales, sold for 910c/kg lw/$153
- May/May-19 drop, 31.7kg, Poll Dorset/Merino mixed sex suckers, from GALORE New South Wales, sold for 1006c/kg lw/$150
- Mar/Apr-19 drop, 31.4kg, Border Leicester/Merino wether suckers, from LAMEROO South Australia, sold for 1121c/kg lw/$148
- Apr/May-19 drop, 27.1kg, 2ndX White Suffolk mixed sex suckers, from BLAYNEY New South Wales, sold for 1226c/kg lw/$146