Merino breeders are being invited on a bus tour of entrants in the 2015 McLennan-McColl Victorian Flock of the Year on March 13.
Eight flocks have entered the competition, which was resurrected by the RASV and Merino Victoria, after a 10-year break.
RASV co-ordinator Fiona Looker said the winner of the competition will win $1500 and there is a $200 encouragement prize sponsored by the Gippsland Merino Breeders.
The competition will be judged by Australian Association of Stud Merino Breeders president Phil Toland and AASMB vice president Michael Collins.
An opportunity to view Gippsland Merino production systems
The competition aims to celebrate and help improve the quality of Victoria’s Merino flocks. It offers producers the opportunity to view other production systems and learn best practice management.
The 2015 entries include:
– the Paulet family’s Millring Pastoral at Toongabbie – Bindawarra, Pendarra, Toland blood.
– Bridie Anderson’s St Katharines Darriman P/L, Darriman – Tara Park, Roseville, Wurrook blood.
– the AR and AJ Missen flock, Woodside – Bindawarra, Borambil, Pendarra blood.
– the Neil Collins’ flock, Hunterston – Merryville blood.
– the DJ Boland and JL Peavey flock, Giffard – Woodpark-Bindawarra blood.
– the BM and GH Missen flock, Woodside – Bindawarra blood.
– the SF and RK Davidson flock, Walpa – Middleview blood.
– the JCJ and LM White flock, Lindenow South – Glendonald blood.
Free bus tour of flock properties
Ms Looker said the bus will run free of charge from Sale Friday morning and tour properties, but booking is essential. The tour is open to all interested in attending and learning more about sheep production in the area. Booked seats will include lunch, a barbeque dinner and guest speaker.
The bus will depart from the Econo Lodge Hacienda, Sale at 7:15am on March 13.
It is estimated that visitors will spend approximately 40-45 minutes visiting each property before boarding the bus and continuing to the next property. Visitors wishing to travel in their own vehicles are requested not to visit properties outside of the visiting times below. People intending to travel in their own vehicle and would like to have lunch or dinner should contact Ms Looker for catering purposes.
A barbeque and awards presentation will be held at John and Leanne White’s property at the end of the tour. All are welcome to attend, but must confirm for catering purposes. For bus bookings and catering please contact Fiona Looker on (03) 9281 7412, [email protected]