A COMPREHENSIVE review of the National Wool Declaration will be held this year, for implementation in 2024, the Australian Wool Exchange has announced.
In a recent members’ update, AWEX said industry stakeholders are invited to make a submission to the review up to the end of the consultation period on Monday 13th March 2023.
The proposed timeframe will ensure there is sufficient time for the consideration of all submissions and subsequent consultation with industry, and to facilitate a smooth transition to the next version, AWEX said.
The review of the NWD will be undertaken by AWEX through an Industry Consultative Committee (NWD ICC). An independent chair will be appointed to the NWD ICC, with committee members appointed in consultation with industry representative bodies.
AWEX said the review aims to ensure that the NWD is fit for purpose and that the declarations can be substantiated through the NWD-IP. The review will consider the following topics as well as any
other aspect of the NWD and its integrity program:
- The relevance of the current mulesing status declarations, viz. Non Mulesed (NM), Ceased Mulesing (CM), mulesed with Analgesic &/or Anaesthetic products (AA), treated with Liquid Nitrogen (LN) and Mulesed (M). For consistency across the Australian wool industry, the definition of mulesing is sourced from the Australian Animal Welfare Standards and Guidelines, AWEX said.
- The potential inclusion of “other” breech modification alternatives or animal welfare declarations within the NWD.
- The user-friendliness of the NWD with respect to its correct completion by the owner/manager and data entry by wool broking staff.
- The NWD declaration and compliance rates, and premiums and discounts, and how it is being received by industry (see Appendix 2).
- The NWD-IP, involving desktop audits, verification of the use of AA and LN and on farm inspections for NM and CM.
- Communication plans for the release of NWD Version 10.
All submissions must be in writing and include the name and address of the author/organisation. Submissions must be received by AWEX by Close of Business on Monday 13th March 2023. Emails are preferred.
When making a submission, stakeholders have been asked to include the topic(s) and the background to the topic(s) as well as the reasoning/statistics behind any proposed change(s).
Stakeholders have been asked to provide feedback to NWD ICC for the 2023 review via Dr Kerry Hansford, Secretary, NWD ICC, AWEX, Gate 4, Frederick Rd, Tottenham, VIC 3012 email: [email protected]
Click here to read the full AWEX members’ update.