The field day on December 4 is being run by the producer-driven Southern Prime Lamb Group and will have a range of specialist speakers presenting on market needs, grain and pellet-feeding and budgeting, supplements, grazing and management.
SPLG chairman Leigh Harry said with a failing spring, most lamb producers in the region will face a challenge to finish their lambs.
“With indicative pricing and forward contracts already announced, there will be opportunities to profitably finish lambs to processors specifications,” he said.
The field day at ‘Manooka’ on the Ararat Road, near Mortlake will kick off at noon with a barbecue lunch.
Mr Harry said presenters would include:
– Nathan Scott – Achieve Ag Solutions — getting the best from your weaners through nutrition management pre and post weaning, yard weaning vs paddock weaning and the role EID can play.
– Ian McPherson – Five Star Stockfeeds — finishing lambs in a feedlot using high protein pellets. Animal nutrition, feed conversion efficiency & cost of production.
– Grant Muller – Advantage Feeders — use of self- feeders, their features and benefits.
– Michael Grant – Stephens Pasture Seeds — Grazing systems and options including lucerne, plantain and fodder crops for your area.
– Russ Davis – ruminant sales manager, Ceva Animal Health — Regulin implants to achieve more twins and fewer dry ewes. Increasing lamb profitability by compressing the joining period required for conception.
– Peter Mecham – Zoetis — minimising carcass condemnations at abattoirs. Maximising lean meat yield and avoiding preventable and manageable disease impact on profits.
– The field day will also include static displays from TRU TEST – EID weigh systems.
A BBQ lunch will be provided, for catering registering is appreciated. For more information contact: Leigh Harry on 0429 302 056, [email protected] or Teek Dolan, Landmark Mortlake, 0428 504 579, [email protected]